Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Polar Express

When I was a little girl my favorite Christmas story was Polar Express.  We read it every Christmas Eve, and every time I would proclaim how I could still hear the bell (I knew if I couldn't "Santa" wouldn't come).  As I got older I began to understand the importance of "hearing" the bell.  It meant that the spirit of Christmas, the innocence and wonder of a child's belief was still alive.  So, my first Christmas out of college I received my own copy of the Polar Express
Now, that I have a child of my own he hears the Polar Express every Christmas Eve, and sometimes a few times before.  The Wilmington Railroad Museum hosted a reading of the Polar Express.  It was wonderfully done, complete with a "first" gift of Christmas.

After hearing a local news personality read the children got to see Santa.  Along with a bag of candy, each child received a bell from Santa's sleigh.  Collin was pretty excited, but was much more interested in the trains.  He loves trains.  Then it was off to a place of his choosing for dinner.  Of all of the places in Wilmington Collin wanted to have dinner Chick-fil-a. 
It was a good night.  Collin was a hit in his pjs with Santa in a rocket ship, and note the rocket ship slipper to match :) 

No comments: