Sunday, October 16, 2011

Some Things Never Change

It is interesting that this post comes from a church service where the sermon was about change, and the need for the church to embrace and accept it.  While I completely agree with that, I am always so comforted by the fact that there are some things that never change. I grew up attending a United Methodist Church, but I've never been a "hard core" Methodist (so to speak).  The reason for this probably has to do with the fact that I was educated in a Catholic school, married the son of a Presbyterian minister and have parents who currently are members at a Southern Baptist Church.  Not to mention that most of my friends, throughout my life, have come from all different faith backgrounds and denominations.  I typically consider myself to be theologically well-rounded, at the very least my theology does not wholly align with any one denomination.  In spite of all of this diversity most my weekly church services have been in a United Methodist Church.  I know the prayers, most of the hymns and the order of worship.
My parents came to town last weekend so they could see Collin play soccer.  Since their plane didn't leave until late Sunday evening they were able to attend church with us.  As we prayed and sang and worshipped I realized that we all knew exactly what was going on.  I wasn't the least bit concerned that there would be a prayer they wouldn't know or hymn they hadn't at least heard.  I was instantly transported to the church of my childhood as I realized that these things had not changed.  I realized that despite the fact my parents have been attending a church of a different denomination for years, that they still knew this church.  Yes, it's a different town, a different building, different minister, different people.  I suspect that even if we went back to my childhood church we would find that much has changed, but I guarantee that we could step right in because some things would be the same. 
As I stood in the sanctuary, in the middle of worship, feeling this incredible sense of comfort in the fact that some things never change, it dawned on me that God never changes (no, this is not the first time I've thought or heard this).  He is, He was and He always will be.  While the church itself changes with the times and is ever turning its wheels to find ways to bring people in, God does not change with the time.  God is God, now and forever, and there IS GREAT comfort in that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated. Mirrors my own heart and observations as well. Ahh, the body of Christ is so diverse and beautiful. Keep on loving God and your sweet family.