Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ninja Mom

This is my new favorite term.  I first heard it in a blog I posted on facebook, so I can't take credit (http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/09/15/dear-parents-you-need-to-control-your-kids-sincerely-non-parents/).
Matt Walsh uses it to refer to a mom who, inspite of her toddler's complete meltdown in the middle of the grocery store, who, inspite of glaring eyes and disapproving comments from those around, who, inspite of her embarassment, chose to instruct and discipline her child when it would have been easiest to give in to the demands.  With that explanation I have to let you know that I have some friends who are ninja moms.  While I hope the following post does not embarass one of them, I feel like I should share.  She showed the rest of us a great example of the difficulty, self sacrifice and necessity of being a good parent.

I had some friends (and their children) over for a playdate.  It was, obviously, chaotic, but it was fun.  The children had a wonderful time playing together and the moms got some much needed adult conversation.  As is with most playdates there is no ending time because nap time will beckon for each child and her mom will take her home.  Sometimes this happens in a subtle whine and rubbing of the eyes, and sometimes it happens in a hysterical meltdown.  The latter was the case with my friend's 3 year old.
I'm uncertain how it started, what triggered her devastation, but when the floodgates opened there was no closing them, not even a little.  She was crying and screaming at the top of her lungs.  It was so loud my friend had her daughter sit outside until she could gather their things.  Even outside we (and the rest of the neighborhood) could hear her quite clearly.  My friend remained remarkably calm.  She gathered their things (and her other child), apologized (none needed in the present company), and calmly took her daughter's hand and insisted they were leaving because her behavior was unacceptable.
About 10 minutes later, there was a knock on my door, my friend and her daughter had returned.  While the child was still visibly upset she had calmed.  My friend asked everyone to please pay attention because her daughter had something to say.  At this point the little girl (with some coaxing) apologized to everyone for her behavior.  WOW!!  NINJA MOM!!  Not only did she remain calm through this whole process, but she put forth the effort, the inconvenient, slightly embarassing (again, no need in the present company) effort to not only calm her daughter and speak to her at home, but to teach her that apologizing is important and necessary.  She came back, with 2 children, to bring the lesson full circle, to drive home her point.  Even though every mom in the room could have, would have, excused the daughter from the apology, given her the "out" because she was tired, because she is 3, we all knew the importance of what was happening.  We all knew this was important.  So, we all paid attention, waited for the apology and then hugged my friend's daughter.  Instead of telling her "it's ok" we thanked her for her apology and told her we'd love to have a playdate with her again soon.  And we were telling the truth!
I have been thinking about this a few days now, wondering if I'd be able to stay that calm.  Wondering if I would put forth the extra effort to return.  Wondering if I could be a Ninja Mom.  Then, this morning I read an article about parents in a town whose children broke into a vacant home, threw a party during which the home was destroyed and are now angry with the homeowner, the victim, for trying to help the children instead of calling the police.  THAT is what happens when we refuse to be Ninja parents.  THAT is what happens when we are so busy being friends, or so busy trying to make sure our children never know the disappointment of a consequence.  THAT is what happens when we excuse every misbehavior starting at 18 months.  THAT is what happens when we refuse to be parents.  Then we wonder why our children are so out of control in their teen years.  As a parent you should NEVER be judged by what your children DO, but you should be by how you respond, and my friend did it right!!
I still won't say her name, but she knows who she is.  Way to go friend, I'm taking notes!

No comments: