Saturday, March 8, 2014

Why I'm Leaving Facebook

Ok, so I'm not completely "logging off," but I am going to begin to treat Facebook like I do all other forms of media, being a little more careful and selective with my intake.

For years I have been very picky about the music I choose to listen to.  It started when I was in high school and had an hour drive to school each day.  I just hated listening to crass morning shows and obnoxious, loud, foul music.  It just didn't put me in a good mood.  I decided I only wanted to listen to things that were uplifting, and I've refined my definition of uplifting as I've gotten older.

After that I began to think the same way about much of my media intake.  I'll only watch so much news before I change the channel, there are only certain types of television shows I'll watch and if one of my regulars gets to be too much, I just don't watch that episode.  I'm selective with movies and even selective with reading, particularly online articles.  I NEVER read the comments after an article, bottom line, I've formed my opinion from reading and don't care to become angered as I read, what I find to be, the ridiculousness that people are willing to spew on public internet forums.

So, what does this have to do with Facebook?  I have realized in the past few days that, while Facebook is a great tool for me to keep up with friends who I otherwise may not stay as close to, it is also a great detriment.  Too often articles are posted, comments are made and statuses published that will have a negative impact on me.  Some anger, some hurt, some make me question decisions I make, some (whether true or not) I feel are targeting me and then I spend entirely too much time and energy analyzing it trying to decide how to respond.  I mean really, it's just ridiculous.  Yes, I understand I can unfriend people, block people, unfollow people, the bottom line is that I just don't want the site to be such a big part of my life.

I check facebook on my phone like I check the time on my watch.  It's craziness.  Why?  For what?  What on earth could be so interesting?  Why do I read those stupid articles that I know are only going to infuriate me?  Why do I read the comments that only make it worse?

I've given up Facebook the past 2 years for Lent, thinking it would somehow curb my usage.  It does, for 40 days and that's about it.  I need to unplug.  I need to stop caring how other people think children SHOULD be raised and focus on raising the two I have the way Robert and I think they should be raised, doing what is right for us and our family.  I need to stop caring what other people think about all things political, and remember WHO I am and allow that to define me and guide my opinions.  I need to stop thinking I "know" someone because we are Facebook friends.  I need to pick up the phone and have a conversation with them, or at the very least, send a personal email to touch base.

So, with that I'm guarding myself against Facebook like I have all other forms of media.  I'm even going to delete the app on my phone :)  It's time to UNPLUG a little!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

K, I like your editorial! As a general rule, I don't read FB blogs. But combo of author and title sold me on taking a read. Very together Lady you are :)