Sunday, September 18, 2011

Playdates

I am not sure when I first heard the term playdate.  I am quite certain I did not have a child and that it was in reference to my friends (who also did not have children) getting their dogs together.  I didn't have a dog at the time either, so I didn't pay it much attention.  As I entered the stage of my life when more and more of my friends had children I began to hear this term used in reference to getting children together.  While it all made sense, the significance of it was lost on me, until I became a stay-at-home mom (please note I didn't just say mom).

The older Collin gets the more difficult it is to keep him engaged, learning and tired at the end of the day.  Add to that a pregnant mommy who needs more nap time than he does and somedays are quite interesting.  So, in an effort to keep his schedule full we are trying to have at least one playdate a week.  This is preferably on a non-school day, so as to help fill the down-time.  Mind you, I don't think it is my responsibility to entertain my child every moment of his life, or to even provide entertainment opportunities for every moment of his life.  However, I do think it is my responsibility to provide him with opportunities to learn, socialize and expend some energy, on a regular basis. 

We have had playdates before, just not that often.  Before I stayed home Collin was in a daycare during the day and had more than enough playtime with others, especially for a little guy.  He was only 18 months old when I decided to leave work, and at that point was pretty easy to "engage" and keep busy.  Now, it's a whole new story.  I am looking for every opportunity I can find to have him learn, play, run, socialize and be outdoors.

The most interesting thing I have learned about playdates is that they are as much for the mommies as they are for the children.  When you find yourself as your child's only companion, and equally as bad that he/she may be your only (day-time) companion you begin to look for opportunities to be around other adults during the day.  The beauty of a playdate is that it is actually a "playdate" for everyone.  I can have an adult conversation, Collin can play with someone other than me or by himself.  I can enjoy a cup of coffee with a friend and without a child wanting to sit with (on, near....) me.  Collin can run and play and yell and chatter with someone who loves to do those same things just as much as he does.  So, as a stay-at-home mom, who has desperately done everything in my power not to be a stereotypical stay-at-home mom I have joined the thousands (probably way more than that) of moms who absolutely love playdates.   

No comments: