Sunday, October 7, 2012

Lifesong

"Empty hands held high, such small sacrifice.  If not joined with my life, I sing in vain tonight.  May the words I say and the things I do make my lifesong sing bring a smile to You.
Let my lifesong sing to You.  Let my lifesong sing to You.  I want to sign Your name to the end of this day knowing that my heart was true.  Let my lifesong sing to You.
Lord I give my life, a living sacrifice to reach a world in need, to be Your hands and feet.  So may the words I say and the things I do make my lifesong sing, bring a smile to You."

Music typically has a way of moving me like nothing else.  As many times as I have heard this song, and as many different emotions as it has stirred, one thing is consistent, the first person I think of, each time I hear this, is my Aunt Billie.
As an adult I haven't spent near as much time with her as I did when I was a child, but even still, I know she hasn't changed.  People as genuine and pure as her, don't.  She has a servant's heart and a desire to serve God in all that she says and does.  This desire goes beyond that of anyone else I know.  She has been through valleys plenty and has never ceased in praise and obedience.  She doesn't bend to societal pressures to be something or do something that isn't in line with what she believes God would have her do.  She gives when there is plenty and she gives when there is little.  She opens her home and her heart to those who need her.  She is an example to our entire family of a servant of God. 
My prayer is that one day my lifesong will be as pleasing to God as I'm sure hers must be.
Aunt Billie with my cousin, Christina, and the newest baby, Jack.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I have known your very words to be true since she walked into my life in the 6th grade as the new kid in school 46 years ago! Does that date me?
love,
Dad