Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The True Reason for the Season

I love Christmas.  It is by far my favorite holiday and season of the year.  I enjoy finding things for people I care about, things I think they will truly appreciate and enjoy.  I love the smell of Christmas trees, and fires and treats baking the oven.  I love the time with family and friends celebrating.  I love, that even if only for a couple of weeks, everyone is thoughtful and kind (mostly).  And I love what the holiday represents for me as a Christian.
Since I love the season so much I like for it to start as soon as possible, so I started Christmas shopping in September.  Sometimes it's easy, I don't wait for people to think of what they want because I know what I want to get them.  While that works well for adults it doesn't work so well for children who are under the impression that Santa will bring them what THEY ask for, not necessarily what he decides (yes, I am burying the lead on this one).
So, I have been asking Collin what he wants for Christmas.  He responds with, "nothing," "I don't know," "you tell Santa what to get me."  This has been frustrating me for weeks.  How can my 4-year-old have no idea what he wants for Christmas?!?!?  Most preschoolers have lists, long lists.  If he wants some "new, fad" item I need to get it now or I won't be able to find it anywhere, and if I can find it it'll be marked up 100 times.  Now, family members are asking what he wants for Christmas and I don't even know what Santa is bringing.
Somehow, in the midst of my frustration, it dawned on me how wonderful it is that my son doesn't know what he wants for Christmas.  This isn't a negative thing, this is a great thing!  It's not great because I can buy him whatever I want him to have.  It isn't great because I don't have to wrangle trying to find the latest and greatest thing.  This is great because my son doesn't feel like he NEEDS anything. 
There are toys coming out of every crevice of our home, it seems.  I can't imagine adding anything else to the clutter and chaos, yet it's that time of year again.  While I know Collin doesn't consciously realize (or reason) that he has enough things or that there is no more space; Collin is content with what he has.  He is thankful for what is here.  While I am certain he will come up with something for Santa to bring him, I am smiling as I think of the beauty of having a content and happy child.  Maybe it really does take a child to show us the true reason for the season.
  This was the view from my chair last Christmas, the day after Robert returned home from Afghanistan.  Now, that is all I ever want or need.

No comments: