Friday, August 9, 2013

It's Very Quiet Here...

...and I'm not sure I like it.

This morning I dropped Collin off for his first day of Kindergarten.  Wow!  I can still hardly believe that he is in Kindergarten.  Not only have the past 5 years flown by in the blink of an eye, but how on earth can I be old enough to have a child going to "big kid school" (as he likes to call it).
We've been taking Collin to his first day of school since he was a little guy.  He was in daycare initially while I worked, and even when I decided to stay home he attended preschool.  But today was different.  Today was the start of what could possibly be one of his greatest adventures.  Dropping him off knowing that over the course of this year, and the ones to come, the world, and all it has to offer, is going to unfold before his eyes, is almost overwhelming.  To know the time and energy that teachers are putting into lesson plans and project ideas and classroom design just to make learning as magical as Collin believes it to be, is humbling. To see the gleam in his eyes this morning as he jumped in my bed at 6 a.m. (yes, 6 a.m. - NO, we don't get up that early) was truly magical.  To desire to be a part of all, to cheer him on, to volunteer, to help with homework, to turn into a "soccer mom" just to make it better for him, that is perspective changing, life changing.  Go get 'em little man, the world is yours.
His excitement (and he's not terribly excitable) is contagious.  I keep wracking my brain for ideas of how to keep that excitement alive, his thrill for school and love of learning.  He just soaks it all in.  He even gets Legare excited about school.
Yes, we couldn't leave the house without her bookbag too.  She also needed to be in the first day of school pictures.  Collin agreed that would be fine since she is his sister.
He is a little concerned because the classroom doesn't have as many toys as his classroom last year, but he assured me this morning that, he'd get used to it and it would be fine...such a little adult.

I can't wait to pick him up this afternoon and hear all about his first day




No comments: