Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Women Who Raised Me.

It hit me like a ton of bricks when my mom told me that today is Ms. Pat's birthday.  In an instant I was excited and then I remembered that she's not here for me to call.  We lost her almost 2 years ago.  As I turned this over in my head a flood of childhood memories rushed to the forefront of my mind and I began to smile.  I smiled for the joy and love that she brought to my life.  I smiled for the hindsight that allows me to appreciate all of the things she taught me.
I was a child blessed to be raised by a handful of women.  This was not because my own mother wasn't around, but because, living far from either family, we had embraced and loved some very dear people as our family.  They welcomed us in and called us their own.  We did likewise.
I remember birthday parties, with amazing cakes.  There were Sunday dinners that were not served until 2, but eaten on fine china with everyone still in their Sunday best.  She took me to fancy lunches and I ordered hot tea.  Trips to the store to pick out a proper handbag for an occasion and hand bags are never given empty.  Ladies are graceful, polite and kind, no matter what kind of society you live in,  and Ms. Pat was always a lady.  She would open her home to anyone and could entertain in a minute.  No matter who came for dinner, or a visit, they were treated like royalty.  She never did anything half-way, if it wasn't worth doing well, it wasn't worth doing.
She gave me my first job when I was about 7 years old.  I wanted a new doll and so she hired me to work for her at the bank.  I got dressed up in my Sunday best and went to work for the day.  I punched in on the time clock and even got a coke break.  After my day of work I opened a savings account and "magically" the money for my doll was there.
She taught me how to make sugar cookies for any occassion.  She showed me the appropriate way to give a gift.  She sang lullabies.  Most of all she loved, she loved me, my sister and my parents like she loved her own family.
As I thought about my week I realized the number of things I had done, just this week, because she showed me how.  The reason I can (and love to) entertain in an instant, the reason I am always pulling out the nice dishes, the reason I extend a hand of friendship to those around me is because she showed me how.  The reason I create family out of friends, the reason I obsess about being appropriately dressed, the reason I wrap Christmas presents just so, the reason I love a fancy dinner, the reason I want to take my daughter to tea, the reason I want her to understand the grace and kindness that comes with being a real lady, the reason I sing lullabies to my babies is because Pat Sease is one of the women who raised me.
I just adore this picture of Ms. Pat with Collin.  What a precious moment this was for the woman who rocked me and my sister to have the time to rock my son.
 

No comments: