Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Ho-Hum Day

Believe it or not, it was actually supposed to rain in Yuma today. I didn't believe it until I walked outside and saw the looming clouds. Contingency plan: the bowling alley. However, in Yuma fashion, the clouds lingered, but no rain. So, I decided we'd go to the park so Collin could play since we may get trapped inside at any moment. Played at the park, home for a long nap and still lots of hours left to entertain him. The bowling alley was sounding like a good idea rain or no rain. I got him all excited about it and off we went. Only to learn when we got there that it is closed, Mon - Thurs. from 4:30 - 9 for a competitive kids' bowling league. We weren't even allowed to stay and watch because apparently it upsets the parents. Wow - I had no idea that competitive bowling was that big of a deal. And now, what was I supposed to do? We had only left the hotel room for an hour today. We were not going to last until bed time cooped up in the room. In addition to concern for my sanity, Collin was crushed. He looked up at me and asked, "why won't they let me play?" Ugh - tug at the heart strings.
I couldn't think of anything around that would make it better. Then, like a light bulb: Chuck E Cheese. So, off we went for our impromptu date. He loved it!! Some pizza and basketball, cars, skeeball and so much more made all well with the world. Especially when my little cowboy saw the horse.

Then we topped it off with a trip to the ice cream store. It will never cease to amaze me how easily a ho-hum day can morph into an extraordinary day for a toddler, and his mom.





1 comment:

Kathy said...

The ice cream has melted and we need an update -love, MOm