Thursday, October 14, 2010

Roxaboxen










Forever immortalized in a children's book, Roxaboxen Park sits atop a small hill in a neighborhood in Yuma, AZ. With completely romantic notions of taking Collin and having him pretend and play like the children in the book we went to Roxaboxen. I knew we would find a hill of rocks in the middle of, well let's say, a neighborhood in which I would not purchase a home. However, I thought my toddler's memory and imagination would spring to life when he saw it. We had read the book multiple times with him oohing and aahing at the pictures. I had excitedly and eloquently explained the art of make believe and what the children had been able to create in Roxaboxen. Yet, when we arrived all he could say was, "Ooh, cool, rocks!"


It was neat that there were still some larger rocks fashioned in the same way the children in the story had placed them. Though I'm sure it was the work of someone who has read the book and visited. Not included in the book was the man passed out behind a bench. Collin saw him and very loudly says, "Is he sleeping? Why is he sleeping there? Hi! What's your name?" All of that spilled out of his mouth before I could stop him. YIKES!












So, this is the famous (or not so famous) Roxaboxen park. In spite of its lack luster appearance it was well worth the trip. Just a neat little adventure, and the first of many times Collin and I can read about something in a book and then go see it first-hand.

No comments: