Monday, October 18, 2010

Lessons Learned in Yuma

We've been in Yuma for two weeks now, with two weeks left to go. We've visited almost every park in town, gotten to know the local shopping centers quite well, seen camels, visited the pool, played by the Colorado River and jumped aboard a Southern Pacific railcar. Whew! It's been a great time, and there's still much more in store for our final days here. In the midst of it all something "hit" me the other day. We've done more here than we ever do in Jacksonville.
This is a town that doesn't look like it has much to offer. It really was just dropped in the middle of the desert. The shopping isn't that great and there isn't much in the way of attractions. Yet, I realized we have had a fun-filled time here.
I am always willing to admit that entertaining a toddler is significantly easier than entertaining an older child. However, I was worried when we came out here that we'd both be bored out of our minds. Robert is working 12 - 15 hours a day, six days a week. I don't have a house to "keep." Not much in the way of errands to run. No appointments scheduled, no time at the gym. All of the things that end up consuming our daily lives back home just don't exist when we live in a hotel. Knowing the potential for boredom I researched and talked to friends who live here. I committed to getting Collin out on the move for an adventure at least once a day. That's what we've done. So I'm left wondering what all we miss when we're in Jacksonville.
A good friend of mine does an excellent job at planning weekend adventures for her children. I've always envied her as I read a blog post about their trip to an art museum, or a Saturday morning farmer's market. She enriches their family time with such exciting, and educational outings. In my envy I just tell myself that it's because she lives in a big city where these are more readily available. What I've learned is that we can have the same enriching adventures, it may just take a little more research.
Since we live in Jacksonville I never felt the need to research fun adventures. We just go on about our daily lives, Collin goes to school, plays with his friends, and so on. Then, what will end up happening is that when it's time for us to move we'll be running around trying to "do" all of the things around to do. So, I've decided to plan adventures in Jacksonville as if we are visiting the area. I'm going to research parks, sites, aquariums, historical landmarks (there are a lot), nature trails, anything to give Collin a chance to know his home, have fun, and maybe learn something.
So, if you're bored in your town or just tired of the "rut" get online and then get out of the house. There's just got to be something to do.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

We get out only for our own sanity!!! Gabriel would drive us TRULY INSANE if we stayed inside all day:-) Bull in a china shop!!!

Kaiti said...

:) I think I have one of those as well. Regardless of the reason, you guys do such an awesome job of exposing Gabriel and Clementine to all sorts of different things.

Anonymous said...

Great encouragement.
Glad y'all are together.
Please keep praying for us.