Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Many of you have heard of Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts.  I had certainly heard a lot about before I ever purchased it.  Interestingly, about 20 -30 pages in I have lost the book (hoping someone who needed to read it has found it).  Inspite of the short amount I read the point was surely not lost on me at all.  She writes of thankfulness, and not just thankfulness because you have a home, a family, an income, but thankfulness in the midst of true heartache and disaster.  She writes of praise in the storm.  Voskamp definitely has the life experience to backup her writing, as you learn on page 2.  I really started reading the book to gain some perspective in my own life.  I so very often get caught up in what I don't have, in what I've lost, and in some strange race to keep up with Joneses...as if any of it matters.  I thought if I could take a moment each to truly rejoice and be thankful I would clearly see all that I do have.  Please don't mistake this as a lack of realization of my blessings...I know I'm blessed, I've always known I'm blessed, but I think a deeper appreciation that takes us beyond the obvious, to the awareness of the gifts laid at our feet, each and every day, by a God who loves us gives us a different perspective and a more grateful heart.
So, I have started a list of 1000 gifts.  I try to remember (yes, I need to get a journal for this) to write them down as I think of them and I will share them here each Thursday (for the time being I am leaving out the obvious children, husband, parents, sister because I am hoping to make these specific).


1 -    Watching my son dance when he thinks no one is watching
2 -    Legare's rustle in the middle night that awakens me and reminds me she is ok
3 -    Fresh fall air blowing through the house
4 -    Stretch marks, yes, stretch marks that remind me of my body's ability to grow and bear a child. 
5 -    My health - I can run, I can keep up with my children, I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to
                            without concern that my body won't be able to keep up.
6 -    An early morning run on an empty beach, with praise music on the ipod
7 -    Collin wanting to have a playdate with ME.
8 -    A warm ocean breeze coming off of the water as I sit on the beach.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love!

Kathy said...

Your "thankfuls' are mine!!!

Katie said...

Wonderful! Can't wait for next week's...