Thursday, July 10, 2008

Trial by Food

Collin's hands are way too sticky for the computer today, and you'll see why. So, I am writing his post. Considering my son is a "Wicker" I thought the move from formula to real food (the word real used very loosely) would be a breeze. Surely he would love food as much as the rest of the family, oh I don't think so. According to my mother-in-law Robert had an aversion to spoons as a child and didn't transition well either. However, this had nothing to do with the spoon, it was the food. You've got to be kidding me!!! So, for two days we tried and he cried. Not just cried, screamed and through a tantrum like I haven't seen yet.

Under the advice of my mom and a nurse at the doctor's office I added mushed up bananas to the rice cereal. HALLELUJAH!!! It was like the magic key. Oh, my goodness the child that just the day before wanted nothing to do with food was banging his fists on his high chair tray (that was NOT an exaggeration, he really did) for more. Who knew a banana could evoke that kind of response.


So, now I think the problem is solved until I realize just how messy this process is. OH MY GOODNESS!! This is so gross! See, my house isn't the tidiest but I don't really like dirty and this was dirty. There was food everywhere: on his hands, up his nose, all over the high chair, all over me. I need a bib. Then there was the proverbial flipping of the bowl. ALl of this and it's only day one...whew! It's a good thing this only has to happen once a day for right now. Whoa, the things I didn't realize I was in for. At least the dirty diapers are contained, for now :)

2 comments:

Carolinian in Texas said...

Kaiti...don't put the bowl where he can reach it and there will be no flipping. Just wait until Gramma K gets there next week, and she will help feed that hungary little guy.

Rachel said...

Oh this is only the beginning! Enjoy!

P.S. Am loving the frequent updates!