Monday, August 20, 2012

For the good of those who love the Lord...

I've been thinking about this post for a little while.  At first, I wasn't even sure I would make a blog post.  But, like many things in my life, if it weighs on my heart and mind I have to "talk" about it to let it go. 
A couple of weeks ago the ladies in my bible study were discussing the things in our lives that hurt us, or frustrate us.  Being that it was a room full of women, issues with family, extended family, husbands and friends all came to light.  In addition, it is also a room full of mostly stay-at-home moms, the inevitable issues of concern for our children, raising children, doing a thankless job, struggling with wanting to work, a house that never seems clean, etc...  Then, being a room full of military wives it get serious and the true fears begin to come out.  Each of us has moved to a place we never wanted to live, in circumstances we couldn't have imagined, each of us has had a husband leave to a foreign land not really knowing when and if he will return, each of us has walked through major life events (birth of a child, moves,  without a spouse, death in the family, etc...) without our spouse, and most of us know someone who has lost a husband.
As the discussion continued we referenced Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  This is a scripture that most know.  It's one many cling to when things aren't going well.  But a curious comment was made, if we truly believe God's word and trust him then why do we fear.  This would leave many to question their faith and trust.  I mean really, does anyone live without fear?
As I pondered this, the reason for the fear seemed clear.  To me, it wasn't my doubt in God's goodness or faithfulness that causes my fear, it is the pain.  To take the most extreme of the situations above, the loss of a spouse (or parent, or child or even a dear friend) must cause unimaginable pain.  It is an event that, I can only imagine, would scar a life forever.  Even knowing that all things will work together for good.  Even knowing and believing and trusting in God's faithfulness does not spare us the pain of loss.  Some of the most faithful believers I know still experience the pain of loss, the pain of life inspite of their true belief that all will be ok.  I don't find that this makes them doubtful of God and his promises, or less faithful.  I simply find that pain is very real for those of us who choose to engage in this life, and that fear of pain is part of the natural human condition.  Even when you know, you know with all of your heart, that God will ultimately make it right, it still hurts when it happens, and no one wants to hurt.

No comments: