Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hurrevac

Just a few hours after we returned from our 5-week southeastern tour, Hurricane Irene started gunning our way.  What a welcome home surprise.  I was not excited about packing up and leaving.  I have never left for a hurricane and I've been through a few (Hugo, Dennis and Rita).  There was one point in my life, where I actually stayed on purpose, equipped to stand like an idiot in torrential rain and down pours to let everyone else know just how bad the hurricane was.  In any case, this was my first hurricane with a toddler and a baby on the way, and that made all the difference.  So, we packed up and went to visit my family in SC.  Even though we got out of town in plenty of time my mom still felt that Collin needed a hurricane survival kit. 
So, the brown truck delivered his package to my Uncle's.  It was complete with non-perishable snack food, a video game (for his mobigo that runs on batteries), a soccer ball (that matches his new cleats) and some flashcard games.

Alas, those indoor games weren't really needed.  We didn't even get rain at my Uncle's.  So, he and Collin had plenty of time to play outside.  Collin kept trying to beat his "best time" on his tricycle.

Then, of course, soccer season starts this week and so Uncle Woody played soccer in the backyard.  Huey (the dog), even got in on the game.
Since my grandmother lives in the same town, we were able to spend some time with her as well.  It was wonderful.  I can't imagine what those two were plotting...if you knew my grandmother, you'd be afraid too.
There was even time to sit on the front porch and rock, but not for too long.
And of course, we bring the race car everywhere we go.  Collin and Uncle Woody had a blast racing Lightning McQueen up and down the driveway, and into the grass, garage door and whatever else got in the way.
In the end, we had a wonderful weekend and the only time Collin really had to play the mobigo was the trip home.
Fortunately, all was well at home when we returned.  Hurricane Irene just gave us a great excuse for a fun little vacation. 

No comments: